Buffalo County > History
Gann Valley, SD
Buffalo County Courthouse
1 Courthouse Square
Gann Valley, SD 57341
Old Courthouse
QUICK FACTS
Area: 471 sq. mi.
Population: 2,032
Seat: Gann Valley

Dakota.  In 1868, it included the present counties of Buffalo, Brule, Jerauld, Aurora,
Dakota.  In 1868, it included the present counties of Buffalo, Brule, Jerauld, Aurora,  
In 1868, it included the present counties of Buffalo, Brule, Jerauld, Aurora, In 1868,
it included the present counties of Buffalo, Brule, Jerauld, Aurora, Sanborn, , it
included the present counties of Buffalo, Brule, Jerauld, Aurora, Sanborn,  it
included the present counties of Buffalo, Brule, Jerauld, Aurora, Sanborn, Sanborn,
Davison, Hanson, Miner, McCook and part of Lake.  Governor Pierce  Governor
Pierce appointed county commissioners in October of 1884 and Duncan Governor
Pierce appointed county commissioners in October of 1884 and Duncan was
designated as appointed county commissioners in October of 1884 and Duncan was
designated as the temporary county seat.  Several county seat propositions were
considered at a  Several county seat propositions were considered at a meeting in
January 1885, Several county seat propositions were considered at a meeting in
January 1885, meeting in January 1885, and Gann Valley was declared the county
seat.  As was  As was the case in many counties, a fight to move the county seat
ensued.  The As was the case in many counties, a fight to move the county seat
ensued.  The site the case in many counties, a fight to move the county seat
ensued.  The site for the  The site for the new county seat was known as Buffalo
Center.  After the protests The site for the new county seat was known as Buffalo
Center.  After the protests new county seat was known as Buffalo Center.  After the
protests and legal battles  After the protests and legal battles were over, Gann
Valley was again named the After the protests and legal battles were over, Gann
Valley was again named the county seat in April of 1888.were over, Gann Valley
was again named the county seat in April of 1888.